We get many inquiries about furnace filters. One of the most common is whether running a furnace without the furnace filter is possible. The answer is no – it’s not a good idea to operate your furnace without a filter. Contact Michael’s Certified Air, Inc. for more information or schedule heating services in Ridgecrest, CA.
The Importance Of Installing A Filter In A Furnace
There are several reasons why having a filter in your furnace is essential. Including the following:
- Protect the furnace from dirt and debris: A filter helps to remove dust, dirt, and other particles from the air that circulates through your furnace. These particles can build up on the internal components of your furnace, causing it to work harder than necessary and reducing its efficiency.
- Improve indoor air quality: The filter also protects you and your family from breathing harmful particles in your home’s air. Furnaces can circulate all pollutants, including dust, pollen, mold spores, and even bacteria. A quality filter will trap these particles so they don’t end up in your lungs.
- Prolong the lifespan: A filter protects your furnace and helps it to last longer. By preventing dirt and debris from building up on the internal components, you’re helping to extend the life of your furnace.
Taking Care Of The Furnace Filter
Now that you know why it’s so important to have a filter in your furnace, it’s time to talk about how to take care of it. Here are some examples:
- Replacing: Furnace filters should be replaced regularly. Typically replacement is required every one to three months, depending on the type of filter and the level of use. If you have pets or someone in your home suffers from allergies, you may need to replace the filter more frequently.
- Cleaning: It’s also essential to clean the filter regularly. Most filters can be vacuumed or lightly brushed to remove dust and debris. Ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and replacement. You could damage the filter or void the warranty if you don’t.
- Scheduling maintenance: Furnace maintenance is crucial for running your system smoothly and efficiently. During a maintenance visit, our technician will clean or replace the filter as needed. We’ll also inspect the furnace to ensure all the parts are in working order.
If you have questions about furnace filters or need help with furnace services in Ridgecrest, CA, don’t hesitate to contact Michael’s Certified Air, Inc.
Consequences Of A Dirty Filter In Your Furnace
A furnace filter that isn’t replaced or cleaned regularly can cause all sorts of issues, including the following:
- Insufficient heating: A dirty filter can restrict air flow, which means your furnace won’t be able to heat your home evenly.
- Damage to the furnace: A buildup of dirt and debris on the internal components of your furnace can cause it to overheat or break down completely. Therefore, it’s so important to replace or clean the filter regularly.